Monday, July 10, 2017

mountain lion?

This morning I found a track in my back yard that startled me.  I think it was a mountain lion.  There are tons of them in southern Arizona, but they usually stay up in the mountains.  It was a big cat.  You can tell a cat print from a bear or dog because cat's claws retract. This animal had a paw print the size of my hand.  It wasn't the kitty that lives with the elderly lady down the street.  Well, we've had no rain this year at all, six months with no measurable rain where I live. The airport had some in March but we didn't get any. With record heat and no water anywhere I guess it's on the move trying to find better digs. Our neighborhood borders a large park called Tucson Mountain Preserve.  The mountain part is a ways off, but there's plenty of desert. Maybe it wanted a dip in the pool.  Well, other than it surprised me, I'm not going to worry about it.  I've lived in national parks so I've lived around wild animals before. My view is if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. Sure wish I'd seen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment