Thursday, December 22, 2016

Christmas Carol, A

This time of year there are plenty of opportunities to watch A Christmas Carol.  It pops up all over the place.

I never seem to tire of this story.  I’ve read the original story by Charles Dickens.  I’ve seen more dramatizations than I can count.   I have no idea how many there actually are, although I am confident I’ve seen most of them. There are at least ten that have been made into TV specials or films. 

My first exposure was in junior high.  In the eight grade we put on a slightly watered down version.  I was stage crew.  But what a wonderful play it was.  Over the years I’ve tried to take in every adaptation of it that I could.  It is arguably both the best Christmas Story and the best ghost story ever written.  

I’ve come to just a few conclusions. The farther the scriptwriter or director attempts to venture from the original Dickens dialogue, the worst the movie/play is. My favorite is the George C. Scott version. I thought he made a delightful Scrooge. 

What was Ebeneezer Scrooge's occupation? Well he was  business man with a partner named Jacob Marley. I've read the original Dickens.  Frankly, it doesn't say. People have speculated it was some sort of money lending operation. I would submit they could have been accountants.  But we're never really told.  Somehow, American versions seem to feel the need to substitute turkey for the prized goose in the window. I like turkey better, too.  But it was not in the original.  

I've watched three versions this season, thus far. If you haven't seen it in a while, download it or borrow or watch it on one of many channels.  AMC runs multiple versions.  

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night [and that's from another work]

No comments:

Post a Comment