Sunday, October 30, 2016

Can you spare some money, asshole?

Bums–they’re everywhere.  I cringe every time I see people give them money. In Tucson they love to beg for cash in the center mediums at intersections. It violates a city ordinance, but little is done to enforce it.  

Here’s my problem. If they really are vagrants with cardboard signs begging for help, giving them money will only buy more booze or drugs and will do nothing to help them. On the other hand, a lot of these folks are not what they seem.  I’ve watched them for years, both in Arizona and back in Colorado.  They often have shifts. Good intersection, when it’s time for one bum to go home another shows up with his cardboard sign to relive him.  This is a lot more organized than people seem to realize.

Hey, just this past week I watched one guy take clean clothes off in a wooded area, put on filthy cloths, put the clean stuff in a backpack, hide said backpack, and head off to beg for money.  As I said, these guys are not what they appear.  This would stop tomorrow if people stopped giving them money.  They should fine the donor. But that’ll never happen.







1 comment:

  1. The situation makes me think of Jonathan Jeremiah Peachum from Bertolt Brecht's The Threepenny Opera. He outfitted London's beggars for a share of the profits. Makes me wonder if someone like that is operating.

    ReplyDelete