Friday, July 29, 2016

Lucky Number 13


Did you ever see a hangman tie a hangknot?
I've seen it many a time and he winds, he winds,

After thirteen times he's got a hangknot      Woody Guthry



As hanging week continues, I'll talk about the hangman's noose.  It's a simple knot, a variant on other slip knots. It's a big knot and has a distinctive look.  It takes a few tries, but it;s not tough to get it to look right.  I used to tie them all the time.

Whilst growing up, we were told by the Boy Scouts the knot was illegal in California. As much as Boy Scouts love knots, they did not like us using that one,  It may have been illegal. All I know is when I grew older and got better at library research I couldn't find any actual law making the knot illegal.  I don't think there is one although you can't entirely rule out some local ordinance someplace. So, get yourself a rope and have at it. Remember, it's 13 coils--no more and no less.


No comments:

Post a Comment