Friday, April 29, 2016

Gardening

A long time ago, way before I lived in the frozen wasteland known as Colorado, I tried gardening. I was around 1st grade or so and knew nothing about gardening.  So I planted some onions and soon had scallions. They were nice, except I didn't know what to do with them. I was just a little kid. I asked my mother and she didn't know either. Well, I wasn't going to get much help there.  And grandmother was only interested in flowers---and she had eyes on my garden area.  

So, I next planted carrots and some tomatoes. The tomatoes were killed by some kind of worm. And the carrots were good, but small as I knew nothing about fertilizer and the poor soil I was using.

I surrendered the space to my grandmother.

A few years went by and I was back at it, planting corn and tomatoes and strawberries and pumpkins. Well the corn ears were quite small, and the snails ate most of the tomatoes and the pumpkins were really nice. After I'd grown them, only then did my mother tell me she wouldn't use them to make a pie--she only used canned pie filling as doing it from scratch was too much work.  Five jack o'lanterns that year.  Not bad.

We had so many snails in the yard and I couldn't put out snail poison because of our beagle--dogs would sometimes eat the stuff. So I kind of gave up.

And while the rest of the world plants their spring gardens, I stare out the window and watch it snow.
Oh how I hate this time of year.

Oh, and I have plenty of uses for scallions now. They're wonderful in soups and as garnishes and even directly in various dishes like meatloaf.  

No comments:

Post a Comment