Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Pros & Cons

As I consider what cons I'll attend this year, I'm somewhat struck by the number of cons I don't really want to go to.  A lot of it is travel.  They're too far away and too expensive.  World con in Kansas City is only a one day drive, but I just question whether it's worth going.  The hotel rates are quite high and the membership tab is astronomical.  

Then there are other cons that I've had bad experiences with.  Some kinds treat people great, but there are some that are horribly run and make you regret going.

And then there are Texas cons.  For some reason I have never been wanted as a program participant at  con anywhere in the Lone Star State.  I reason that it's most likely because there are some many local writers they don't feel they need me.  Maybe everyone in Texas just hates me.  I don't know.  But I no longer make any effort to attend cons there.

And, to add to the confusion, I have no idea when my new science fiction novel will come out as I cannot get a release date from the publisher. My lack of a novel in quite some time kind of diminishes my value on the con circuit. Sure, I've edited tons of anthologies and written lots of short stories, but authors are really judged by their output in novels.  That's the currency of the publishing world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment