Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Editing Stuff


So, I've been working on a few projects.  It amazes me how some places take months or even years to respond to a submission and others get back to you in a few days.When I've edited anthologies I usually know right away if a story is not going to work.  I guess some people have more trouble making up their minds.  Then there are the ones you like right away. And then there are the third bunch that could go either way.  These usually require a second reading.  And that's how it works.

Unless you go to a con and they have editors there on some stupid panel.  The vast majority insist they toss a story after a few paragraphs.  I was amazed at how little time they take.  I almost always look at three or four pages. And I will likely skip to the middle if the front paragraphs aren't working. This is because the first start off may be lacking, but it might pick up with a little momentum, Yet almost every editor I've ever seen at multiple cons says they only look at a few paragraphs before they toss it.  Assholes.  

Each editor has his or her own way of doing things.  But I still contend you can give a story or a manuscript more of a fair shake by reading more than a couple of paragraphs. If you don't want to read this stuff, then don't edit anthologies. 

Then there the places that never respond at all.  I have a book manuscript that's been once place for two years now.  Of course they never looked at it.  But do they bother to respond? Hell no. Assholes.

And that's the way it works.  Cynical aren't we.


No comments:

Post a Comment