Thursday, December 10, 2015

Come on people!

There’s been a lot of really nasty things being said by politicians recently.  I’m not going to comment directly on this unbridled bigotry.  But I thought I’d share a memory from a couple of years ago.

It was a summer evening.  I got a call from the hotel next door to the one I work at.  The night manager asked if we had any rooms available. I said we did.  Then she said something odd, “There’s this family here.  They’re not from this country.”

“Send ‘em on over.”

“Are you sure?” She asked.

“Yes.  I’ll take care of ‘em.”

So, a few minutes later this family shows up in our lobby.  They were dressed like they’d just posed for the cover of jihad monthly.  Yep, they didn’t look like they were from Colorado. “How can I help you folks?”

Anyway, the husband explained they just wanted a room with bedding to sleep five people. I explained what we had.  They decided that would be acceptable.  I noted they had an Egyptian address. Anyway, they went off to their room.

About a half hour later the husband showed up at the front desk.  I was afraid there might be a problem with their room.  “Can I help you?” I asked.

“Can you tell me what channel Star Trek is on?” he asked.

“Well, give me a moment.” I had a good idea.  I scrolled through the lobby TV’s listings. “Original Star Trek is on that channel.  Oddly enough, the BBC channel is running Next Generation.  And I have no idea what’s become of Deep Space Nine.”

“They don’t have Deep Space Nine in Egypt, either.  I think it got a lot better when they added Whorf,” My guest said.  

“Absolutely,” I agreed.

Anyway, it turns out he worked for the United Nations in a cultural job trying to preserve archaeological sites in the Middle East and they’d come to Colorado on vacation.  We talked about Star Trek for about half an hour.

Then the phone rang.  “Is my husband down there?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Is he talking about Star Trek?”

“Yes ma’am.”

Anyway, these folks turned out to be extremely nice people.  I was sorry to see them leave when they checked out.  The fact somebody dresses a little differently or is from a certain part of the world should not condemn them to hostility as the siren’s song of bigotry once again tries to seduce certain factions of our society.  And that’s all I have to say.

1 comment: