Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Plan 9

As much as I love obscure science fiction, I'd never actually seen Plan  9 From Outer Space.  I'd heard about it but never bothered to watch it.  Well, yesterday I finally gave it a viewing.  In case you're unfamiliar with it, many critics have dubbed it the worst science fiction movie ever made. Well, I am inclined to agree.  It's really kind of a chore to watch the whole thing.  But, I persevered and managed to make it through to its conclusion.  One school of thought is movies like this are so bad they're fun to watch.  Well, I never felt any sense of joy from it.  I just kept hoping it would mercifully end.  The only thing that's even remotely interesting is the flying saucers.  They're kind of interesting to watch as they appear to be dangling from some sort of fishing line or wire and they bounce around. [I like shiny things].  Other than that, there are no redeeming qualities with this movie.  

A social experiment occurred to me that you could fill a theater and ask people to watch this movie and provide a critique at the end and you'd give them a dollar or something. The true purpose of the experiment would be to see if anyone remained at the end of the movie. I'm guessing it would be an empty theater. 

Still, I'm glad that I watched it, simply because I can now say I've seen it.  The late Aaron B. Larson [who died a few weeks ago and I've written about him] always said he was always glad when they made science fiction on film or for TV. His theory was any science fiction is better than no science fiction. I disagree.  We never actually discussed this movie.  It's the sort of movie that I would imagine they would play in hell, assuming hell has movies. 

If you're in a sour mood and want to torture yourself, it's readily available for download and most libraries have it.  And, if your kids have pissed you off, you could force them to watch it. I think it would be much more effective than grounding them.

No comments:

Post a Comment