Saturday, September 12, 2015

Clueless in Colorado

One way you know you've arrived  into Geezerhood is when you start thinking young people are hopeless. Why are they hopeless?  When you mention movies or books and they stare blankly at you. I've been thinking about hosting a video party at Mile Hi Con.  I've been asking people which they'd like to watch: Kolchak the Night Stalker, UFO, or The Invaders. And they stare back blankly at me. What the hell is wrong with these young uns? They don't know nothin'.  

God forbid if any Millennials are reading this or even younger, Kolchak:The Night Stalker is from 1974.  UFO is from 1970.  The Invaders was actually a prime time network show from 1967. I grew up on these shows. They made me what I am today. [That's more of an argument to go downstairs and play Scrabble. Scrabble is a board game. It's fun. Yes it is] I'm leaning toward The Invaders, but that's a tough one to find. The librarian stared blankly at me. It's on Amazon, but not cheap.

And then you find out they have no idea how to play chess. 

I guess I'll just start calling all of them Sonny.  I'm going to have to start showing them Far Side cartoons.

2 comments:

  1. I recently watched the entire Kolchak series. It still holds up pretty well. It's been forever since I've seen UFO or The Invaders. I may have to add those to my DVD queue. I recently read an article about how in 1977, the design of the Millennium Falcon had to be changed at the last minute because they thought it looked too much like the Eagle from Space: 1999. I wonder how many people these days even remember Space: 1999!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I remember it. It was not what I'd call great science fiction.

      Delete