Friday, December 26, 2014

Happy New Year?

I'm always relieved a bit when Christmas is over.  And, for the record, Santa stiffed me yet again.  But, now we get a week of year-in-review stories. Every single news and entertainment show on the planet feels obligated to rehash the past pathetic year.  I find this so tiring and tedious.  But, there is nothing I can do about it.  Frankly, the very concept of a year is arbitrary.  That's how long it takes for Earth to orbit the sun, but we could just as easily use some other basis.  In other words, there isn't really anything that significant about the point in time that is January 1st.  It's a random place in time that's been given significance by the people who sell calendars and produce news programs that have to recap the year that was.  For a long time, before the current Gregorian calendar, we didn't really know when the new year started because the old Roman calendar was so screwed up. The Chinese knew. the Mayans knew. But those of us whose ancestors are from Europe were clueless. 

So, I hope everyone got what they wanted for Christmas. I didn't get a damn thing.  But I'm fine with that. Over they years most presents I got were something I didn't like anyway.  So, enjoy the holidays and do yourself a favor and avoid those horrible retrospective shows that are everywhere this coming week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment