Friday, October 24, 2014

Skunks

About the only wild animal I fear is the skunk.  They're mean little bastards with teeth and claws and that special bonus package.  I've been skunked before.  It's the most vile smell there is.  This time of year they always seem most active for some reason.  At work about two weeks ago one came inside the building through an open door.  Fortunately, it turned around and went back outside.  If it hadn't, I don't know how you make a skunk leave until it's ready to go.  Later that very same day I was home sleeping and suddenly this horrid stench permeated my bedroom.  My immediate thought was  Oh god, that skunk followed me home.  I slowly realized that, although skunks are clever, skunks aren't likely to follow me 20 miles to my house after I left work.  I guess one could hop in a cab and say "follow that car," but that seems a bit far fetched. Cab  fares in Vail are astronomical.  So, I gradually realized the skunk was not really after me. The neighbor's dog went after one and, big mistake. 

This all came back to the forefront of my attention yesterday as I went out to my car and around the front of my car came a skunk.  I reasoned it was there waiting for me.  And I was doomed.  It paid me little mind and sort of waddled off down the street.  I dove into the Ford and closed the door as fast as I could.  Safe for now, anyway. We've had rattlesnakes, moose, bears and mountain lions in our condo complex over the past few months.  I'll gladly take my chances with a rattler over the thought of another skunk encounter. 

By the way, tomato juice doesn't work. A mixture of hydrogen peroxide and shampoo, lots of shampoo, will eventually remove that small.  


No comments:

Post a Comment