Monday, August 4, 2014

Trails?

Why is it called Steampunk Trails? I was asked.

Well, it all started a long time ago when I put out a cross genre western magazine.  I took all types of stories, but the submissions got more and more horror oriented.  Anyway, this annual magazine was called Trails: Intriguing Stories of the Old West.  It wasn't very popular.  At the same time I was noticing the disappearance of the western sci fi story. All of the so-called weird westerns were suddenly horror--and very dark horror at that.  That's when I switched to an all science fiction format and Science Fiction Trails was launched.  I published 11 issues of that magazine (it was also an annual). With the last issue, I decided to end publication as I tired of struggling to fill the magazine. Writers just weren't interested, so I decided to quit pounding my head into the wall.

So, last year, when we decided to try a steampunk magazine, the trails brand continued.with it. Frankly, we couldn't really come up with anything that seemed any better.  We thought about steampunk stories, but that's a bit of a misnomer as the new magazine isn't all fiction. So Steampunk Trails was born.  And our second issue just came out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment