Friday, July 18, 2014

Art Nightmares

It astonishes me that about half of the artists I assign illustrations to over at Steampunk Trails magazine never complete the assignments.  These are almost all artists who have contacted me seeking assignments. They've agreed to our terms and guidelines. And they never, ever submit the assigned art. And all we're asking for in our case are simple line drawings that require very little time.  If they can't do this, they're delusional if they think they're going to be successful artists.  Yet this just keeps happening.  Frankly, dealing with artists is what I hate most about my role as publisher AND art director for Steampunk Trails.  If we had more circulation I'd hire someone--but that's not going to happen right now.  Maybe I can find a witch doctor who can put a curse on these people. In the meantime, I'll muddle on.  

So, to all the art directors out there you have my sympathy. And to those very few artists who actually get assignments done on time, I salute you.  



No comments:

Post a Comment