Monday, May 19, 2014

More Dueling

There's this most wonderful program on AMC called Turn. It's about America's first spy network during the Revolutionary War.  It's loaded with intrigue.  Sunday's episode centers around a duel.  It was awesome. I think it was fairly accurate for the customs at the time.

So, I may have mentioned before that I think dueling should be legal.  If two men hate each others guts they can go out in some field and blow each others brains out.  No lawyers, no magistrates, just two men and their seconds.

Now, I've never been to a duel.  I did challenge somebody to one once, and the sniveling coward didn't show up.  Boy, I sure wanted to blow that guy's brains out.  Alas, it did not happen.  It's become a lost art, unfortunately.

Of course, one last observation is the pistols of the day should not be trifled with.  Although they didn't have rifled barrels, they had rather large projectiles--much bigger than most bullets used today. Meaning, at short range, if you got hit, you were in for some serious damage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment