Thursday, February 13, 2014

A Dash Of This

I've been proofreading the new issue of Science Fiction Trails 11.  The issue is completely awesome. But there is one thing I have been noticing in recent years that I don't like.  More and more writers are using dashes as a sort of generic punctuation.  Back in the stone age when I was in school they were frowned upon. I was taught to use them sparingly for effect. And that was about it.  Now, they're everywhere--at the end of sentences--in place of commas--in place of semicolons.  Did you notice I was using dashes?  I don't like it.  I haven't actually rejected a story for too many dashes, though I  have been tempted.  

I don't know what's behind this trend, other than the breakdown of civilization.  I've wondered if people are too lazy to care or they really think dashes are wonderful.  I know I'm fighting a losing battle, but I am not happy with this trend at all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment