Saturday, January 11, 2014

Cost cutting

A few months ago I resigned myself to the fact that my income is simply not going to increase. Ergo, I went on a cost cutting mission.  In giving up three channels that I liked, I saved nearly 30 bucks on cable TV--those three channels weren't worth it.  I can live without the SyFy Channel--it's mostly crap anyway.

Then I called up the phone company and saved $20 a month there, just by asking for a better deal.

Then I got a big savings this year on health insurance--over $200 a month.

Then I refinanced my mortgage and saved a whopping 2 1/2 points in interest and about $250 a month lower payment.

So, with very little pain, I'm now spending $500 bucks a month less.

If I wanted to turn the heat way down and live in the cold, I could save a lot on my electric bill. So far, I haven't been able to convince myself on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment