Saturday, January 18, 2014

Another Day...

As I've mentioned many times, I publish a few things, including two fiction magazines.  What consistently amazes me is the fact that writers go to the trouble to submit stories, we sometimes actually decide we'd like to publish them, we send out contracts and the writers refuse to sign and return them.  

Well, perhaps it's our terms? No one has ever objected to our terms, which mostly only ask for nonexclusive rights and were spelled out in our guidelines. In fact, a frequent contributor to past projects is a lawyer and he's never objected to our contracts.  So, why is this?  I don't know.  There was one situation where I later learned the submission was fraudulent where someone had plagiarized another writer's story, but I don't think that's the case in most of these situations.  

But, alas, this continues to happen and reared itself up quite recently. The sad thing is, in the meantime, another story might have been rejected that we could've used.  I guess I'll never figure out why people do what they do. A similar problem has occurred with artists. Artists say that want assignment. They say they're okay with our terms and deadlines. Yet, we give them assignments and never hear from them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment