Friday, December 20, 2013

Down to the Wire

Christmas shopping in my family is easy. We don't exchange gifts.  Haven't for years. We long ago decided that, since no one ever likes what they get anyway, why bother. So, I don't get Christmas presents.  Whilst I admit I  think it's a good thing, overall, I do sort of miss not having the decorate tree with presents underneath it. 

That wasn't always the case. When my dad's golden retriever was still alive, he got real excited when the Christmas tree went up. That was before we stopped exchanging gifts.  If we hadn't put a gift for him under the tree, there would've been no living with him. He always knew which present was his. He'd go by and check on it every now and then. And when the big day arrived, once he was given his present, often a toy of some kind, he'd open it himself and take it around and show it to everybody.
 
But, overall, I like not having to buy and ship presents. And if  everyone did as I do, the economy would come to a grinding halt.



No comments:

Post a Comment