Saturday, November 16, 2013

Arrogance

I've been dealing with writers in multiple capacities for years. Many of them are not nice people. One writer in particular has simply amazed me. He's gone, in just a few years, from being someone trying to establish himself to an unbelievably arrogant ass. I actually published this guy, but that isn't likely to happen again. His blog entries now regularly put down other writers, the meager writers peddling their PDF crap. He doesn't seem to realize his own collections and anthologies are published by very small presses.  In other words, he has never had anything resembling a commercial success himself, yet he puts down everyone else. He barely got himself qualified to become a member of SFWA. Upon which, he began his attacks on the meager writers.  I'm not calling him out by name, though I am tempted.  But I don't attack other writers in print--at least not by name.
 
I mention it only as an observation.  I don't begrudge anyone their success, nor do I ever feel myself superior in any way to the novice writers submitting their first stories to an editor. But arrogance and writing seem to go hand in hand.  I guess because it's not always easy to tell who the Divas are. And I'm probably misusing the term a bit, but there are so many different types of writers--some specializing in one genre, others in nonfiction, short story hacks, novelists, screenwriters. Other than a few blockbusters and those handfuls of writers with major awards, how do you really determine who is good and who isn't? I don't know.  If it's commercial success, then the guy who set me off on this tirade is anything but. In his mind I'm sure he thinks he's the greatest thing to come along in years, though I regard him as a hack.  It's all how you look at things, I suppose. and I'm not arrogant enough to think my opinion matters all that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment