Sunday, September 1, 2013

Publications

As I've mentioned before, I have two publications I run.  I've mentioned the challenges  here many times.  Science Fiction Trails is suffering poor sales but rising submissions. Last year it was the opposite where we had falling submissions and rising sales.  I really wish I knew why people buy certain issues and not others. The latest issue is by far the best one. Because it's bigger, I raised the price a quarter. I guess that did it.
 
Then there is the Kindle versions of some of the older ones. We picked up a negative review on a few issues. It's one of those kind where they bash you but give no example. We were attacked for poor copy editing. It's my belief this person is mistaken. The truth is some of our products on some versions of Kindle have had weird glitches that we can't fix. This is formatting, not editing.  I just wish people who write these reviews on places like Amazon and Goodreads would use examples for why they liked or hated a particular book or issue.
 
Alas, then there's the new one. Steampunk Trails has some really nifty content in it.  It will be releasing by October 1.  This one's a little different in that it has a few nonfiction articles as well as fictional stories. It's a different mix of authors from our other projects.  I didn't control the selection process for this one, so I find myself wondering as the writers I thought would submit apparently did not and those I had my doubts about did. I don't know how folks will react to the new publication. I guess time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment