Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Travel

The world has had a little time to digest Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk's proposal of a hyperloop high-speed train that would shoot pods through a tube with air pressure at speeds that would take people from Los Angeles to San Francisco in 30 minutes. I'm not an engineer.  I don't know if it would work.  I do know that back in the seventies this was a common idea in science fiction. Many a writer envisioned people being whisked around the world at high speeds in some form of tube powered by air pressure.  The idea seems to have fallen from favor. I haven't seen this concept in science fiction stories in ages. Of course, so-called hard science fiction isn't as dominant in the genre as it used to be.  And I don't think transportation is a big of a deal in the minds of writers as it once was.

In Colorado we have serious transportation problems. They talk about them but nothing really happens.  There never seems to be any way to pay for projects. I think being able to go from the mountains down into Denver in a few minutes would be awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment