Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Futile Battle Against Evil Type

Today I want to rattle on about something very evil.  I'm talking about Courier.  Yep, the type font.  It's hard to read. It takes up way more space than san serif type fonts. It's ugly.  It has, in my opinion, no redeeming qualities whatsoever. So, why do so many writers insist on using it?  Over at Science Fiction Trails, where I am editor, our guidelines ask for Times New Roman, my personal favorite font.  What do we get? Seventy-five percent of the stories that come in are in Courier. That's right, 3/4 of the people trying to sell me a story start out by deliberately trying to piss me off.

I know Courier sort of looks more like a typewriter font.  And I guess that accounts for something.  I would welcome any writer who uses Courier to post on the comments section here an explanation for why Courier is perceived as being such a wonderful type font. Yes, I'd really like to know. Tell me.  You may notice the references to Courier are actually in Courier.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like courier at all, however I believe when people look up proper manuscript style it's still listed as the font of choice... why... don't ask me.

    ReplyDelete