Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Movies

They have these machines outside of stores that rent movies.  I had a discount offer for them.  Ergo, I tried to find a movie to watch.  Couldn't do it.  There wasn't anything worth my time to watch.  If Hollywood had to depend on my tastes, they'd be in big trouble.
 
On a related subject, I've discovered I don't like horror movies.  The problem is they never scare me. They're, for the most part, poorly directed.  I know what the actors are going to say before their mouths open. Two that tilted more toward fantasy were Snow White & the Huntsman and Hansel & Gretel.  I basically liked them, though Hansel & Gretel broke rule number 1 in storytelling (You can't kill the cute red haired girl).  But that's it in the last five years. 
 
Now, TV is a little better. I love The Walking Dead and I liked Grimm fairly well.
 
I've edited multiple horror anthologies. I've written gobs of horror short stories. I wrote a vampire novel no one ever reads. I am a member of the Horror Writers Association. Yet, I can't find a horror film that I even remotely like.  There's either something wrong with me or something wrong with Hollywood.
 

3 comments:

  1. What do you think about:
    The Exorcist
    The Amityville Horror
    The Fog
    Silence of the Lambs
    Dracula (the original)

    (Not the remakes of ones that have been remade, but the originals)

    I enjoyed all of those, though only The Amity Ville Horror and Silence of the Lambs truly freaked me out, but I thought they were well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not like any of them for reasons stated. The exception is the Fog, as I have never seen it. I did like the original Omen.

    I have never believed the Amityville Horror story, considering it a fraud. Ergo, I could not really like or enjoy the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really knew the Amityville Horror story until years after I saw the movie, so it freaked me out. I was also a kid.

    You should check out the Fog sometime. I'm curious to see how you felt about it. One of my favs as a kid and actually the remake wasn't to terrible. I suspect you'll have some of the same issues as with the others, but I'm still curious.

    I'm not a huge fan of horror movies myself for some of the same reasons you stated, but I enjoyed the ones above. I'm not to terribly hard to please though.

    ReplyDelete