Saturday, August 3, 2013

Full Steam Ahead

It's fairly common knowledge that I'm the publisher of a new steampunk magazine that's preparing to launch.  We set up a blog for Steampunk Trails to generate interest and to simply let people know about it.  I don't know how the new magazine will be received. I do know there are a heck of a lot of people viewing the blog.  Of course, that could simply be one person in Cleveland who checks it every half hour.

This is quite a different experience for me than my other magazine.  Science Fiction Trails evolved over a very long time period and literally had to kick and claw its way into existence.  Everything from getting stories to coming up with cover art was a challenge.  Gradually, over time, it became the periodical it is today. 

The new one will be born full grown.  That's not to say it won't ever change, but decisions on everything like ads to interior art have already been made before its first issue ever goes through a printer.  And I am not the editor of this magazine. Someone else has been selecting the stories.  So, this will be a much more collaborative effort. 

One thing I'll be doing over the next few days is sending out contracts. Another task, since I'm also acting art director, will be assigning illustrations.  We decided some time ago to illustrate the major stories.  That's something I've never done before on anything I've published. One thing for certain, the new magazine will cost about twice as much to publish, yet I doubt I'll be able to charge any more than Science Fiction Trails. That was one nice feature of that magazine, with no interior art and stories that run on the long side, there were few people to pay. This made publishing it fairly cheap so I was shielded if the issue did not sell well.  That won't be the case with the new one.  Full steam ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment