Saturday, July 6, 2013

Review, The Lone Ranger

I don't review movies very often.  I guess that's because few people care what I think, so the whole process is an exercise in futility.  Sometimes I just want to comment on one.

I think, all in all, they tried to cram too much into this film.  There's a clumsy exchange between Tonto and a young boy that tells part of the story but is a really inefficient form of narration.  That said, this is a very active movie.  There is just tons of action.  It's got train crashes and shootouts and all sorts of stuff as we learn the origins of the Lone Ranger. And there are some really funny moments here and there. Then we get to Tonto.  This movie is Tonto's story and we interestingly enough learn a lot about Tonto--his motives and his own emotional baggage. Johnny Depp steals the show. His likable and humorous character really delivers. So, while not a perfect film, it is well worth the price of admission.  It's a fun romp through the Wild West and there's nothing wrong with that.

1 comment:

  1. I didn’t like this movie, but I’ll absolutely despise it if we get a sequel or anything more. I’m super serious. Good review David.

    ReplyDelete