Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Artists


In all the years of publishing stuff, dealing with flaky writers, getting stiffed for payments, arguing with printers, weathering bizarre reviews, nothing comes even close to those unpleasantries as dealing with artists. You offer them an assignment and you can't even get an answer if they want the job. I've actually waited three years for a cover assignment once and I am still waiting.  But I have never had one take my head off because I simply suggested a possible cover--until now. 

I don't know what it is about artists, but I've actually come to despise them.  If a writer acted half as unprofessionally he'd be drummed out of the business.  Yet any flake with a drawing pad can deliver items late, deliver something that doesn't resemble what they were hired for and blame the publication because it was a year late.  Oh how I miss the days when I could get stuff done with clip art. Alas, most clip art is of such poor quality it is useless in the days of digital publishing. Maybe someone out there has had better luck than I have.  I guess the solution is to become a truck driver. Truck drivers don't have to deal with artists. If I were ever summoned to a jury for a trial about someone in publishing who went around killing artists, I'd vote to let that guy off in a nanosecond. 

No comments:

Post a Comment