Friday, June 21, 2013

Solar Fun

Some (many) years ago I worked a summer as a park ranger for a local park district in California.  One of the strangest calls I got was from a teenage girl at one of the swimming pools. Apparently, she fell asleep whilst working on her suntan. Her soon to be ex boyfriend put a stencil over her forehead whilst she dozed.  The stencil had cut out the word F_ _ _ . Yep, the f word if you can fill in the blanks.  As she got tanner, the f word got darker and the surrounding skin on her forehead remained light. She woke up and couldn't figure out why some piece of paper was on her head and tossed it aside.  She proceeded to run around the pool and swim a bit, then went to the ladies room whereupon she looked in the mirror and noticed a word was broiled into her forehead.  
 
I struggled terribly to keep from laughing.  I actually though I might have witnessed the best practical joke in the history of mankind.  I dutifully wrote up a report of what happened and told the young lady that I did not believe any crime had been committed, but we would have a report on file.   And, as I drove away, the girl was trying to do some sort of comb over that clearly was not going to work.  "Sure, some makeup will cover that right up," I had assured her. No way in hell. Ah, those were the days.
 
As people were sunning themselves in the pool where I live a few days ago, I couldn't help but wax nostalgic at that incident at the public pool way back then. How do you top that?

No comments:

Post a Comment