Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Cold Rainy Day

They say there's nothing better than a cold rainy day for writing.  I suppose that's because no one wants to go outside. We've had a very cold spring. Yesterday seemed extremely cold and it rained off and on most of the day.  And I dd no writing at all.  I hardly ever get any writing done when it's cold and miserable.  That's why I wish I could afford to move to a warmer climate.  I guess others react differently.  Perhaps not. I've never really asked anyone about it. 

So, today we'll talk about books versus short stories.   A lot of writers concentrate on short stories and never take on books.  They don't know what they're missing.  Most of the time that I've submitted short stories I get a rejection. It may take a few months, but somebody eventually tells me to go to hell.  Not so with book publishers.  They all demand exclusivity, but rarely even respond to submissions. You have to kind of wait a reasonable time and move on.  It is exceedingly rare for me to get a reply of any kind for a book query or submission. They (publishers and agents) can't even be bothered to give an answer. I don't think short story writers  understand this.  I have a lot of fantasies about killing book publishers.  In fact I'm working on a story about it--when it's not cold and raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment