Monday, March 25, 2013

Garbage Part 2


 


Saturday’s blog about garbage trucks proved quite popular for some reason, a heck of a lot of views. One of those trucks mentioned was RC and you could literally make it go around and pick up trash cans on its own. I would’ve been happy when I was little just picking up the trash manually. Alas, I didn’t have a toy trash truck when I was little. And that’s why I turned out the way I did. Who knew?

My first grade teacher, Mrs. Fitzgerald, repeatedly told us if we didn’t learn, we were doomed to drive a garbage truck when we grew up. This, apparently, was a fate worse than death. I never understood what she was talking about. Deep down, I always thought trash trucks were cool. I remember the first time I saw a side loader--I could’ve watched it all day as it went along picking up trash cans. In hindsight, I always sort of wished I’d tried harder to get a job driving a garbage truck.

Garbage has become a big and complex business.  Landfills are complicated these days and many actually generate methane gas which can  heat homes.  And then there is recycling.  We, meaning folks, are actually recycling quite a bit these days and industry has developed a lot of uses for recycled materials.  Yay garbage!

No comments:

Post a Comment