Sunday, March 17, 2013

Erin go something or other




















Well, it's another one of those days when we go around drinking green beer. It seemed like we just had one about a year ago. Even though I have an Irish sounding name I've never been to Ireland and haven't really considered St. Patrick's Day as that big of a deal. 

Over the years, I've been chastised a few times for not wearng green, Once, back in California the black guy who ran this local market got after  me about not wearing green. In college one of the professors called me on it for not wearing green. He was a black guy (There's more on this. Stay with it. It's not a bad thing) And, there's a local restaurant I eat lunch at sometimes. This black guy named Leonard (I liked Leonard. He was a good guy, but he doesn't work there anymore) got after me two years in a row for not wearing green on St. Patrick's Day. So, wherever Leonard is, I vow to be good and wear green this year.  I don't want any more black people yelling at me for not wearing green on St. Patrick's Day.   

My uncle always seemed somewhat interested in his Irish heritage.  He was always buying those big coffee table books  about Ireland on remainder (that's publishing talk when they go out of print and get real cheap) and sending them to my brother.  I don't recall ever geting one from him.  I tried to get my parents to go to Ireland with my uncle, but they never seemed to want to go.  I remember I once visited my uncle over St. Patrick's Day.  He wore green on his own and didn't have to have black people yell at him about it like I do.

I may have said something that could be misinterpreted. I just thought it was kind of cool that black people, who often don't have an Irish connection, were better about honoring St. Patrick's Day than I, someone who is supposed to be about 1/2 Irish and has an Irish name.  So, I vow to put on my green socks and green shirt and maybe I'll even have a pint of Guiness.  Yay! 

No comments:

Post a Comment