Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Baffling, I Say

I've mentioned I'm attending Anomaly Con at the end of the month. One of my activities is a talk on the Great Airship of 1897. I've talked about this a few other times. Anyway, I was just going over my notes to kind of kick the cobwebs out of my senile brain and review some of the things written about this thing. I actually believe it is the most baffling event in American history.  And, I am still amazed at how many people don't even believe it ever happened. Of course, people don't believe the dinosaurs ever existed and they do believe Elvis is still alive...   There's a difference between people who don't know about it and people who don't believe it.  So, we'll see how it goes. 

I found out about the airship myself by accident. I was doing some research about a train robbery and was reading old issues of the Reno area newspapers. I didn't find out much about the train robbery, but I came across this story about this mysterious aiship that was terrorizing Nevada farmers. Boy that wasn't what I was expecting.  Over the years, the more I tried to learn about it, the more baffling it got. Hopefully, I can deliver a presentation that won't baffle the audience. 

One interesting thing is they always ask if you need anything for Powerpoint, etc. Not really. There aren't any pictures of it.  Cameras in 1897 weren't real good at photographing distant moving aerial objects in a time before aircraft were invented. 



No comments:

Post a Comment