Friday, February 15, 2013

Vacashun Planning

Boy, Carnival sure is the poster child for the cruise industry. I've never been on a cruise. I doubt that I'll ever go on one. Repeated tales of widespread food poisoning or intestinal viruses running rampant. Yay. Then there's the pittance they offered people for all the missery they endured on that Mexico cruise--$500 bucks. Chump change.

It's not just cruises, though. Travel in general isn't what it used to be. I've been bumped off flights where the airline not only ignored DOT compensation rules, but actually refused to give me my money back. I once refused to accept a 10 hour later flight and the airline claimed I forfeited my ticket money. I had to go to small claims court. If people think the government will step in and do something, they are sadly mistaken. The government won't do jack.

And, by the way, I've worked in the hotel business for quite some time. It's amazing how many hotels overbook, even when they have a credit card guarantee or even a deposit. A hotel down the street from where I used to work in Vail routinely overbooked and would call our hotel and hope we could take on their overflow. I remember one summer they overbooked a judges conference. They had 20 judges who had no place to stay. Boy were those guys happy.

Stay home is my advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment