Wednesday, February 13, 2013

That's the Way it is

I’ve always had one cardinal rule when it comes to literature. You cannot ever kill the cute red-haired girl. Not ever. It just is not allowed. It never ever happens in any story I write. That’s also not something that appears in the writers guidelines over at Science Fiction Trails, where I am editor. So, I can’t really fault the writer who sent me a story where the bad guys killed the cute red-haired girl. He had no way of knowing it was automatic rejection. But it is. That’s just the way it is.

Which brings me to the Hansel & Gretel movie. (Spoiler alert). It’s not just stuff I edit or write, either. It bugs me when others do that. And, to my horror, they killed the cute red-haired girl. Not Hansel & Gretel, but the wicked witch. But the point is, the movie did. And I left rather irritated about this blasphemy. That’s just the way it is.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, this one would be a tough sell to me as well. I rarely say "never" because every now and then someone shows up and finds a way to make the forbidden topic, whatever it is, work. The writer's going to have to really work hard to make me think the cute red-headed girl deserved her fate.

    ReplyDelete