Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The broken key chain

One of my most prized possessions was a simple little key chain with Marvin the Martian on it. I bought it 12 or 13 years ago. It was metal, not plastic and was fairly well made. I carried it around in my pocket everywhere I went. I remember once I had just gone through screening at the Denver airport and apparently dropped it when I was collecting by belongings. Well, as I was putting my shoes back on this TSA lady walked by holding it up, looking for its owner. I suspect she envisioned some teenager would claim it. She seemed surprised and a bit skeptical when I said “That’s mine.” Very skeptical. “I’ve had that for 10 years,” I insisted. Reluctantly, she gave it back to me.

So, recently, Marvin broke in two. I was so bummed. They don’t make them any more. What to do? Well, I went on eBay and there were dealers who had them. I immediately purchased another one. I was so happy to have another Marvin.

Although Marvin could never get the best of Bugs Bunny, I always liked him for his never ending optimism that, somehow, he would eventually destroy the Earth.



No comments:

Post a Comment