Saturday, January 19, 2013

hoopla

I keep wondering why re-elected presidents need an inaugural. The first time kind of makes sense, though I sort of question that as well. But, once they’re already there, I just don’t see the need for it all. I don’t even understand the need for the swearing in ceremony. He’s already taken the oath of office, ergo it seems irrelevant to do it again. But, especially the parades and stuff. Wouldn’t we be better off without it all?

This goes back to the founding fathers. What was good enough for George Washington presumably is good enough for President Obama. I just don’t see the point of what amounts to a coronation for someone who is already on the job. Even austerity minded presidents have insisted on the second inaugural, so I guess I’m just some cranky dude who doesn’t get it.

And, I gather the thing is paid for with private donations, so I guess they can have a party if they want one. If it were up to me, and it's not, I just wouldn't bother. Not that anyone was asking what I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment