Monday, January 7, 2013

Global Commerce

Last week a review opportunity presented itself for the new anthology. The problem was the reviewer was in England. Thing is, international postage rates are getting astronomical. Long gone are the small packet and printed matter rates. The most affordable thing now is First Class International. Even with this category, which faces a steep increase at the end of the month, it costs more to mail a book across the pond than the book itself costs. The solution is that I can buy a copy from Amazon UK and have it delivered to the reviewer far cheaper than mailing it from the US. That hasn't always been the case, but that's global commerce.

In general, I'm finding that more and more reviewers are getting swamped with ebooks, as they're super cheap to send out. I'm also finding that reviewers are much more receptive to the print variety. The world of publishing seems to be in a state of upheaval. I don't know how it will all turn out. But I do strongly believe that people will not buy a book if they do not know about it, which is why I try so hard to get them reviewed. Not all reviews turn out as one hopes. The last one for Low Noon attacked me because there were adverbs in some of the stories. But, at least a few more people out there found out about the book.

Of course, I'll have less to promote, as I do not plant to publish any anthologies this year. Issue 10 of Science Fiction Trails is the only planned project, currently.

No comments:

Post a Comment