Monday, January 28, 2013

Adventures in Road Kill

A few days ago I was driving along and this elk popped up on the interstate. It was immediately hit by the car in front of me. That car just kept right on going. It never stopped. If it were me, I'd pull over and check for damage. Frankly, at 75 MPH, I can't see how the car could not have damage. Anyway, this poor elk is flopping around at the side of the road. It had at least two broken legs. It must have been in agony. I called 911 and told them what happened. I also asked them if they wanted me to shoot the poor creature and put it out of its misery. They were quite insistent that I not shoot it. I got in my car and drove off, leaving the poor animal flopping around. I hope somebody came and dispatched it.

Last summer there was a dead one in the center medium that sat there for five days before the carcass finally got hauled off. I would suspect, at that point, it was rather ripe. Around where I live in central Colorado elk seem more common during the summer, though they can pop up in the wintertime. I'm told bears get run over a lot in this area, though I've never witnessed one.

Cars and wildlife don't mix too well. Back when I lived in Wyoming the problem there was moose. Moose are nearly invisible at night. And they're huge. Result is never good for car or animal.

No comments:

Post a Comment