Friday, December 14, 2012

Ripped Off One Book at a Time

Technology moves on. I've known for some time that my first published novel was something of a rip off. I've written it off to lessons learned and moved on. That book is no longer in print and I have nothing further to do with my former publisher.

I never got paid a penny in royalties, yet books were sold. What I find interesting is that I can now detect way more library sales than I was aware of back then. My library can now let me scan the country and see what other libraries have my books. And there are way more copies of it in libraries than I realized. I mean, I'm glad people are able to read my book and all, but the magnitude of the fraud is much greater than I realized. So, it's bittersweet to say the least.

Note to newby writers: do not sign a deal with an out of state publisher that you may not have recourse over unless you're certain they're solvent and honest. And always get an attorneys fee clause in the contract.

No comments:

Post a Comment