Friday, December 21, 2012

End of the World

I remember back a few years ago when the president of the company I worked at came up to me and asked me to write up something on the Mayan calendar and the end of the world. Well, I got right on it. The gist of my conclusions were that people were taking advantage of the fact that few people on Earth could read the Mayan language, ergo they were taking liberties with things. The basis of this was that there was more than one calendar. There was the short calendar, which was lunar based and was pretty much like any calendar. Larry’s birthday is next week. We plant in two weeks. That sort of thing. Then there was the long calendar that dealt with cycles and bad times like droughts and times of prosperity. I equated it to something like the Farmer’s Almanac. My conclusion was people were reading things into it that simply were not there. I don’t know if he liked my essay, but that was what I did. By the way, I was working at a shuttle transportation company and neither my job nor anything the company did had anything to do with Mayans.

Some of the crackpot squad since then started elaborating on the doomsday theory by filling in details such as some planet called Nibiru is going to crash into the earth. NASA insists there is no such planet and if there was one it would have shown up long before now. With thousands of telescopes worldwide trained on the night sky, I suspect NASA is probably right.

So, in the final hours of Earth, I’ll just say this. The calendar ends. You just restart it. You just start over. It’s not that frigging complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment