Friday, December 28, 2012

A tale of two westerns (sort of)

I watched two weird westerns on Christmas. One was excellent, a fine example of the genre. The other, what a lot of people think of when they think of weird westerns–pure crap. These were visual, filmed stories. I usually talk about literary weird westerns. There are actually tons of filmed tales out there, which was why I was amazed at how ignorant a lot of film critics were about the WW genre when Cowboys & Aliens came out.

Anyway, the good example took place in a town called Mercy. It was an honest to goodness weird western storyline by BBC mega star Dr. Who. I don’t think they’ve ever done that before, though I do have a fuzzy memory of one of the older doctors in some western town. In this one, an alien cyborg is hunting down another alien in a little western town out in the middle of nowhere. I loved it. It originally aired earlier this year. They reran it as a lead up to the Christmas special (which had nothing to do with westerns).

The other one was a free movie offered by the folks at Comcast. I think there’s a reason why it was free. Some guy goes back in time and doesn’t really belong there. I’ve seen this loser plotline too many times to count. It never works. And I am not going to say the name of the movie. If you like bad weird westerns, find it yourself.

God bless us everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment