Friday, November 9, 2012

Doing Time

I've never been a huge fan of time travel stories, especially as short stories. I guess I've always felt the concept was more of a crutch for a novice writer than a useful story technique. Short stories, unlike dramatic productions such as Doctor Who, just don't make it in this medium, at least not as I see it. That in mind, I got a short story time travel piece the other day that was really good. It had this guy who travelled through time photographing people just as they were assassinated.

Problem was, I'd seen it before. That really ticks me off and it seems to be getting more common--writers fraudulantly misrepresenting their stories as original when they're, in reality, reprints. It's called fraud. I wish I could call up the goon squad and have the guy who sent it to me worked over, but I don't have a goon squad. It's no wonder so many editors get cynical and jaded.

No comments:

Post a Comment