Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Moon

Well, Neil Armstrong has passed on.  He never seemed to be very comfortable with the celebrity being the first man on the moon carried with him.  The astronauts were picked because they were kind of boring. They were men who liked to roll up their sleeves and get the job done.  Few of them ever sought fame for their efforts.

I still remember the moon landing. The whole country, even the whole world, was transfixed.  And, I still remember what I was thinking when Armstrong plopped down on the dusty lunar surface.  What a missed opportunity.  If it had been me, I'd have yelled, "What's that? Look over there!" Then waited a moment and yelled "Ahhh!" Then let there be silence for a few minutes. But, alas, NASA and its astronauts lack my sense of humor.  But, Neil Armstrong would really be well remembered if he had.


No comments:

Post a Comment