Monday, July 30, 2012

Steampunk

The new issue of Science Fiction Trails is officially releasing Wednesday, but is already up on Amazon.  It will be followed soon by a special Martian issue.  We have more alternate world stories this time around. We've also got a little steampunk.  For those who've been living in a cave, steampunk has kind of turned the world of speculative fiction on its ear. There is now steampunk fashion and even steampunk music.  I just filled out the annual participant questionnaire for Mile Hi Con and I was amazed at how many steampunk panels they're considering. I've even heard a rumor they're considering a steampunk tea.

To this, I just noticed that Tales of the Talisman seems to be having some trouble finding enough steampunk stories for their magazine, if I interpret editor David Lee Summers' blog correctly.  I'm not surprised. There's a lot of interest in it, but I don't see a lot of stories in this area.  And if I get a good western steampunk story, I'm sure not letting it go to a rival publication.  It's a friendly rivalry, but a rivalry nonetheless.

Our book division is considering a steampunk anthology next year. That's still in the discussion stage and is not a done deal.  Still, steampunk has really proven to be way more than a fad. Not only in science fiction, but even horror is chasing that rare steampunk story right now. 

So, if you write steampunk, now is your time to shine. And if you read it, order a copy of Science Fiction Trails 9 and maybe even Tales  of the Talisman's steampunk issue. I mean, Science Fiction Trails is better, but their magazine isn't bad.  Read on!


No comments:

Post a Comment