Saturday, June 9, 2012

circle C

Over at Science Fiction Trails, where I am publisher, I sometimes get art pitches.  It amazes me how incredibly ignorant people are about copyrights--especially copyright notices.  Works of art were never required to have copyright notices. Yet I always get these things with a circle C and so and so plastered all over the thing. Looks like hell.  This brings us to the fact that since the United States signed the Berne Copyright Treaty, no copyright notice is required at all on anything.  Yet, I've been criticised by ignorant editors for not putting such notice on manuscripts. It's not required.

Then there is the practice with anthologies and such of listing twenty different copyright notices, one for each author. That also is completely unnecessary. And, if one wishes a copyright notice for a collective work, one notice by a rights holder such as a publisher has always been deemed sufficient.

Yet we keep blundering along. I'll rant on more about this later. As if it'll do any good.

No comments:

Post a Comment